This mosaic crochet pattern for the Dala Horse was designed especially for the Mosaic Nordic afghan CAL in November 2022. If you would like to check out the whole CAL you find out more about it and the bundle here. This pattern by itself is perfect as an afghan strip, as a potholder for plants or as the front panel for a little purse. Repeat the stitch multiple to get a beautiful table runner. The Dala Horse design uses basic mosaic crochet techniques. There are a couple of hints and tips I can give you to working mosaic if you have not tried it before:
- It is worked flat and always from right to left (unless you are left handed of course).
- There is most definitely a right side and a wrong side to mosaic crochet. You will always work right side.
- When working single crochets you work into the row below as you would ordinarily.
- When working double crochets these are worked into the row BEFORE the last one. So if you are working row 6 you will double crochet front loop only into row 4. Don’t worry – these are very easy to spot when working up your project!
You can read more about this particular section and check out the free version here. At Sunflower Cottage Crochet, I hire experienced crochet artisans to test our patterns for accuracy and readability.
My patterns all share the same layout which is easy to read and easy to find important information you need, such as materials needed, sizing information, gauge information, and special stitches used as well as how to do them.
This Data Horse mosaic crochet pattern can be repeated to create any size of project you would like. However, 1 horse repeat plus the 3 stitches measures approximately 11.75″ wide and 7.5″ tall. The stitch multiple is included to help you adjust the size to suit your requirements.
- If using 4 weight yarn (aran) you will need approx. 80 yds in main colour, 60 yards in a contrasting colour.
- Appropriate sized hook (5mm)
- Stitch markers (optional)
Don’t forget to tag me on your Dala Horse makes!