Community Garden Blanket – Free Crochet Along
Welcome to the Community Garden Blanket CAL.
Why call it the Community Garden Blanket?
This is another collaborative CAL with 18 other fabulous designers! So it was a community effort! I LOVE organising the collaborative CAL’s – so many of these designers are just awesome at what they do and I am so proud to call them my friends.
Here in the UK we have something called allotments. They are very similar to the community gardens in the US, but people have their own portion of the land that they rent to grow fruits, vegetables and plants. The sense of community in these places is fantastic. People come together to get their hands dirty, enjoy nature and just ‘be’.
So the theme for this blanket became the allotments, but community garden better represents what this project was for both myself and the other designers participating.
I mean, how cute is this??
For my version of the blanket I wanted it to be unisex. This would make a superb gift for any keen gardener! And I wanted my version to reflect that.
How does the Community Garden Blanket CAL work?
There are 2 ways to join in this event.
- Collect the pdf patterns as they become available. A new square will be released every Monday, Wednesday and Friday until October 12th. Then we will join and border our blankets. The pdf’s will be available either for the duration of the CAL or a couple of days, but the patterns will be available free not he designers’ blog posts for at least the duration of the CAL. The round-up below will let you know as the squares become available and what the coupon codes etc you need are. All you need to do is scroll down to that square’s photo, grab the code and click the photo to be taken to the link you need.
- Don’t want to wait for the squares to become available? Want to start your favourites right now? Concerned you may miss something by collecting them one by one? That’s OK! There is an e-book available for you to purchase for an amazing $15.00!
What does the e-book include?
The 132 page e-book has been lovingly collated and contains:
- A contents page so you can easily find the square you would like to work on and print out specific pages if you do not want to print out the whole thing in one go
- All 20 featured squares – chart, written and colour block instructions for each square.
- PLUS 4 bonus squares that are currently not available anywhere else!
- Links to my tutorial on how to prep your squares for joining and borders
- A step by step photo tutorial for how to do the joining method I used
- Written instructions for the stunning border I used in my version – I also link to another option if you would prefer to try something else.
- Designer credits – a list of the places for where to find each participating designer and how to get in touch them. So if you would like to follow them on social media that would be welcomed!
If you are interested in checking out the e-book click the button below:
Never miss a square!
If you would like an email each day a square is released so you don’t miss any of them you can sign up to my Events and CALs email. This is different from our standard newsletter – which you can sign up to with the pop up box when you access our blog, or add your details in the box in the footer!
NEW TO CORNER TO CORNER?
I have a learn to corner to corner course . It has helped a lot of crocheters to master corner to corner. Together we look at reading the patterns, how to do the stitch, increases and decreases and colour changes. I will show you how to work both squares and rectangles too. We even make a couple of free pattern projects together!
As this is a Corner to Corner blanket I cannot give you specifics on how much yarn you will use. This is because everyone’s tension is slightly different but as long as you are consistent your blanket will look great! Also, some people prefer to do HDC rather than DC (like I did). HDC squares will be between 12-15″ depending on tension. DC squares will be 16-20″. It really is personal preference.
As a rough guide I used 12 skeins of Paintbox Simply Aran in champagne / off white. I needed 3 skeins of green, 2 of red, 2 of orange ….
I also used a 5mm hook.
You will need scissors and tapestry needle too. Along with 4 stitch markers for when working the border to note the corner stitches.
Below is the squares on the order that they will become available. You will need to check that pattern has been released (I will tell you below), get the coupon code and then click the photo to be taken to the designer’s post with their link!
Are you ready??
Carrots Square by Sunflower Cottage Crochet
Grab the code and click the photo
Coupon Code: ALLOTMENT – available for the duration of the CAL
Planting in the Dirt by Juniper and Oakes
Available as a free pdf on 5th and 6th September 2022 only, forever free on the blog.
Coupon code: Now Expired
Purple Turnip by Green Fox Farms Designs
Available as a direct download from the designer’s site.
Coupon Code: no code necessary!
Ears of Wheat by Made by Gootie
This pattern is now only free on the designer’s blog post. The free download has expired.
Coupon Code: now expired
Cloud and Sunshine by Hanjan Crochet
This pattern is a direct download from the designer’s website.
Coupon Code: no code necessary
Cup of Joe by Ambassador Crochet
Grab the code and click the photo – available for the duration of the CAL
Coupon Code: COFFEE
Sunflower by Blue Star Crochet
This pattern is a direct download from the Designer’s website
Coupon code: not needed as it is a direct download.
Watering Can by Clair de Lune Fiber Art
Make a note of the code below and click the photo to be taken to the PDF link
Coupon code: C2CWCSQUARE
Basket by Crafting Each Day
Get the pdf version of this cute basket square with the coupon code below.
Coupon code: GATHER
Pear by The Loophole Fox
Shannon has made the graph only for this one as a free direct download on her blog.
Please note you will need to scroll to the bottom of the post and click the brown button for the download.
Coupon code: not needed
Corn by Raffamusa Designs
Make a note of the code below and click the photo of this square to get your copy!
Coupon code: BECORNFIDENT
Ladybug by High Desert Yarn
Grab the code and get your copy of the PDF Pattern for this cute ladybug!
Coupon code: BRIGHTSPOT
Strawberry by Emma Wilkinson Designs
Collect the code below and then click on the photo of the strawberry square!
Coupon Code: CGCAL
Watermelon by Made by Nensi
Please note that Nensi has made the graph for this one a free download on her blog.
Coupon code: not needed
Sun by Jo’s Crafty Hook
Note the code below, click on the photo and look for the download button on Jo’s post to get your Free PDF Pattern for this one!
Coupon Code: SUNSHINE
Bumblebee by Madame Stitch
This pattern is a direct download on the designers site.
Coupon code: No code needed
Leek by Crochet Cloudberry
Grab the code below and click the photo and follow the instructions on Catherine’s site!
Coupon code: LEEK
Tomatos by E’Claire Makery
Click the photo of this square to go to the designers page where this pattern is a direct download
Coupon code: not needed
Pumpkin by Juniper and Oakes
This square is available as a direct download from the designers website – so be sure to click the special event buttons within the post!
Coupon code: no needed
Mushrooms by Frankie Kate
Grab the code below and follow the instructions on the designer’s site!
Coupon code: FALLRED
Joining Method Used
Click the photo and look for the buttons to get your pdf download for this one!
Get your pdf copy of the border instructions by clicking the picture.
Coupon code – not needed!