The Sunflower Square – Free Chart
I cannot believe that I have not designed a sunflower square before now! It seems awfully remiss of me ….
When Claire from E’Claire Makery invited me to join in her Flower Garden CAL I immediately knew that I would do a Sunflower square. In fact, I had the square designed, written and out to testers within 2 days of signing up!
Needless to say this cute square has been waiting patiently in the wings for a few months now. Here in the UK it is the perfect time to bring on your Sunflower seeds. Just last week one of our neighbours had potted a few seeds and left them on their front porch for the children in the street to go and collect one. In a few weeks every house with a child in our street will have a sunflower or two growing in their garden.
My testers seemed to enjoy this pattern too! The pics below are from my fabulous testers. I love the twists that they put on their versions!
Would you believe that this was the first corner to corner project for some of my testers?
NEW TO CORNER TO CORNER?
Then don’t worry about it! The thought of corner to corner can intimidate a few crocheters (myself included when I started!)
I have a learn to corner to corner course that has helped a lot of crocheters to master the art of corner to corner. We go through it step by step from reading the patterns to how to do the stitch, increases and decreases to colour changes. I will show you how to work both squares and rectangles too. We even make a couple of free pattern projects together!
If you want to check it out then click the graphic below!
The free chart is below (just keep scrolling). However, if you prefer an ad-free pdf version with the colour block and written instructions included just click on one of the shop links below:
Sunflower Square Pattern Specifics
- #4 weight yarn 4 colors
- 5mm hook
- Tapestry needle
- Blocking mats and pins (optional)
Gauge – does not matter as long as you are consistent.
Sizing – Finished size is approximately 12” square depending on tension if using HDC and 16 “ if using DC
- This is corner to corner graph and is worked bottom right to top left on the right side.
- To work out how much yarn you will need you will need to do a sample swatch with the stitch you intend to use (HDC or DC) and then measure how much yarn you used per stitch multiplying that by the number of stitches of that color and adding some for the tails to be worked in at the end.
- Color charts with stitch totals are listed under the chart below.
You may also like:
The Sunflower Square Chart:
|Colour||No of Sts|
The Flower Garden Crochet Along (CAL)
This event is being hosted by E’Claire Makery. Claire is known for her love of flowers and colour work.
The Sunflower Square is the second of twelve squares in this CAL to be released. If you collect them all and make the Flower Garden afghan it will look something like mine.
Aren’t the squares stunning?? I am actually really happy with the way that my version turned out and I cannot wait to see how your’s looks in a few weeks!!
There are 2 ways of joining in this CAL:
- Collect the chart patterns as they are released. Each square will be a free chart on the designer’s blog post.
- Purchase the bundle of all of the squares for an amazing $10!! I would be super grateful if you would use my affiliate link by clicking the button below.
If you prefer to check out the roundup post and get the links for the individual charts you can click this button: